[Libvir] Remote & the problem with qemu deadlock

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 14:21:55 UTC 2007

As I wrote here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-April/msg00114.html
remote access to qemu:/// URLs currently deadlocks.  A bit of
explanation follows as to why this happens in the current architecture
of the remote patch.

If you apply the remote patch right now, you'll get a modified
libvirt_qemud server which can handle both qemu and remote requests over
the same socket.  (Basically both qemu_internal.c and remote_internal.c
connect to the same Unix domain socket, then depending on the "program
number" encoded within the RPC messages, they get dispatched accordingly
inside libvirt_qemud).  The server is written to handle multiple
connections at once using non-blocking poll[1], but once the server has
assembled a whole incoming message, it then blocks while dealing with
that message.

The problem occurs in the qemu case when the remote server issues a call
into qemu_internal (now linked into the server), and qemu_internal then
tries to connect out to the qemu daemon.  Unfortunately the qemu daemon
/is/ the remote server, which is blocked handling the current call.
Thus it is unable to accept the new connection (from itself) and
completely deadlocks.

One solution suggested was to have qemu_internal recognise when it is
linked into the server and make local calls back to its counterpart in
the server.  However I think this is pretty ugly and unnecessarily
complicates qemu_internal which shouldn't care how it is linked.

My thoughts on the long term solution
-------------------------------------

I'd really like to see the qemu case not require a daemon.  At the
moment (AFAICS) the qemu daemon serves two purposes: (a) it keeps track
of the monitor file descriptors of the existing qemu processes, and (b)
it handles the networking stuff, basically starting and stopping
dnsmasq[2].  (a) is easily handled, I think, by having qemu processes
put their monitor sockets into a well-known directory.  This has the
other advantage that qemu processes can survive and continue after qemu
programs restart.  For the (b) case, I don't think networking which is a
general service should be mixed up with qemu code.

I think (although probably I've missed some things) that this means that
qemu_internal could be implemented entirely as a local service,
requiring no daemon.  (In the case where qemu_internal needs to control
a root-owned system-wide set of qemu processes then we'd still have to
have a daemon, but it can be the remote daemon, same way that Xen will
work).

My suggestion for a short term solution
---------------------------------------

Since doing the above is way more than I'm going to do just to get
remote working, my suggestion is that we have two daemons running, qemud
and remote.  Both would be built from the exact same codebase: the mode
would be selected by having a 'libvirtd --remote' flag on the command
line (or however, but the important thing is that they'd keep the same
codebase).

This immediately fixes the deadlock problem[3] because qemu_internal
linked to the server is now talking to a different daemon.

Rich.

[1] As an aside, I don't particularly like this architecture.  Linus has
handed down to us an efficient operating system which is already capable
of multiplexing different clients using a marvellous system called
"multitasking".  Hand-coding polling code inside a single process is
really only necessary in very limited circumstances, such as highly
tuned uniprocessor machines with enormous loads, and we are not likely
to get into such a situation with libvirtd.  If we ever did we'd need to
benchmark a range of possible solutions.  Processes on the other hand
have real advantages, such as security through isolation and controlled
sharing, and easy scalability onto SMP machines.

[2] Although I don't really understand the networking stuff too well, so
perhaps it does other things.

[3] Except in the "remote-on-remote" case, but we should disallow this
explicitly because it seems like it would be nothing but trouble.

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA) and David
Owens (Ireland)