[Libvir] Difference between API functions virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains and virConnectNumOfDomains

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 16:47:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 10:12:43AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Jan Michael wrote:
> >Hello libvirt fellows,
> >
> >I have some problems to distinguish between those function calls in libvirt
> >API:
> >
> >>virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains
> >>virConnectNumOfDomains
> >
> >The API description states on both function that they will return me the
> >number of active domain.
> >Am I right if I assume that the first function
> >virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains
> >returns me all defined, but necessarily not running domains, and the second
> >one only running and therefore active domains?
>
> I looked at this and I think you're right - it's a documentation error.
>  I will ask Dan Berrange about this when he wakes up (he wrote that bit).

Yes, that's docs error. virConnectNumOfDomains lists active guests while
virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains lists inactive guests. NB, there are not
100% guarenteed to be distinct sets, since obviously between the time of
calling one & calling the other a guest may have started / stopped, thus
moving from one list to the other. Mildly annoying, but not much we can
do about it in practice since the underlying APIs can't always give us
the complet list of active & inactive guests atomically.

Dan.