[Libvir] Difference between API functions virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains and virConnectNumOfDomains

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 17:03:07 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 10:12:43AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Jan Michael wrote:
>>> Hello libvirt fellows,
>>>
>>> I have some problems to distinguish between those function calls in libvirt
>>> API:

>>> The API description states on both function that they will return me the
>>> number of active domain.
>>> Am I right if I assume that the first function
>>> virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains
>>> returns me all defined, but necessarily not running domains, and the second
>>> one only running and therefore active domains?
>> I looked at this and I think you're right - it's a documentation error.
>>  I will ask Dan Berrange about this when he wakes up (he wrote that bit).
>
> Yes, that's docs error. virConnectNumOfDomains lists active guests while
> virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains lists inactive guests. NB, there are not
> 100% guarenteed to be distinct sets, since obviously between the time of
> calling one & calling the other a guest may have started / stopped, thus
> moving from one list to the other. Mildly annoying, but not much we can
> do about it in practice since the underlying APIs can't always give us
> the complet list of active & inactive guests atomically.

Documentation fixed in CVS.

Rich.

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA) and David
Owens (Ireland)