[Libvir] ANNOUNCE: Virt-top - a top-like utility for displaying virtualization stats

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 08:40:14 UTC 2007

Jan Michael wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I haven't followed development of libvirt for a while since it was
> unuseable for our monitoring due to the inaccurate measuring of cpu%. At
> that time I was happy to have a working lib in version 0.1.9.
>
> When you came up with vir-top, I wanted to give it a try. But therefore
> at least version 0.3.1 of libvirt is needed. So I had to compile the
> library again and run in the following error during make:
>
> <error>
> remote_internal.c: At top level:
> remote_internal.c:969: warning: unused parameter 'sock'
> make[2]: *** [libvirt_la-remote_internal.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/libvirt-0.3.1/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/libvirt-0.3.1'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> </error>
>
> I tried to configure without remote, but had no luck.

That's a really strange error.  I just downloaded and compiled 0.3.1
here with no problem, so it may be something to do with the version of
gnutls you are using.

Can you send me the complete output of ./configure and make please.

> Could you be so nice and tell me which requesitions my systems has to
> fulfill that I can successfully compile libvirt?
>
> By the way. I'm using a RHES 4.x based distribution, Xen 3.0.3 and
> kernel 2.6.18 in dom0. I have only Xen installed an only use libvirt on
> top of Xen.

If you're on x86-64 then the binary
(http://www.annexia.org/tmp/virt-top/virt-top-0.3.1.2-1.fc8.x86_64.rpm)
should just work for you.  If you're on another arch, or if it doesn't
work, then I can install RHEL 4 ES here and guide you through the build
process - I've only tried it on RHEL 5 / F7 myself.

Rich.