[Libvir] ANNOUNCE: Virt-top - a top-like utility for displaying virtualization stats

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 09:01:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 10:08:21AM +0200, Jan Michael wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I haven't followed development of libvirt for a while since it was
> unuseable for our monitoring due to the inaccurate measuring of cpu%.
> At that time I was happy to have a working lib in version 0.1.9.
>
> When you came up with vir-top, I wanted to give it a try. But
> therefore at least version 0.3.1 of libvirt is needed. So I had to
> compile the library again and run in the following error during make:
>
> <error>
> remote_internal.c: At top level:
> remote_internal.c:969: warning: unused parameter 'sock'
> make[2]: *** [libvirt_la-remote_internal.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/libvirt-0.3.1/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/libvirt-0.3.1'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> </error>

  Hum, I lack context here to analyze the problem.
To me sock is declared as a parameter for negotiate_gnutls_on_connection()
line 969 and used in gnutls_transport_set_ptr() call line 1011 in that
function. So it looks used to me unless for some weird reason
gnutls_transport_set_ptr is remapped to a macro not using its argument.
Also it is a warning. A warning should not stop compilation with an error.
So I really don't understand the data you provided.

> I tried to configure without remote, but had no luck.
>
> Could you be so nice and tell me which requesitions my systems has to
> fulfill that I can successfully compile libvirt?

  here I have gnutls-devel-1.4.1-2

> By the way. I'm using a RHES 4.x based distribution, Xen 3.0.3 and
> kernel 2.6.18 in dom0. I have only Xen installed an only use libvirt
> on top of Xen.

  okay, thanks,