[Libvir] Stability of virsh / libvirt interfaces

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 16:59:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 05:33:57PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 12:02:11PM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> >   I will apply the same strategy as for libxml2/xmllint as this worked
> > well for quite a few years:
>
> [snip]
>
> OK, that sounds fine, I just wanted a clear statement of where the
> project's at.
>
> > > (I ask after noticing that virsh schedinfo can be used to *set*
> > > parameters!)
> >
> > It's kind of an API extensions, i.e. adding set to an existing get
> > as long as I don't see how this could break, adding stuff should not be a
> > problem. What's the problem, if you're used only to read you pass only
> > 2 arguments. To set you need more argument, somehow it's a new API
> > (from a textual API perspective).
>
> I really meant that it's very odd that something called 'info' can set
> stuff, and it would have been nice to fix that, though of course we
> can't now.

Yeah, I didn't realize it could be used to set parameters either, and to
be honest I think its syntax for doing so sucks since it is stupidly Xen
specific in parameters it accepts.

I think we should deprecate use of schedinfo for setting params, and provide
an alternate setdomsched  command, with a more flexible syntax. Since we
need to specify type for various params, a syntax using  --int NAME=VAL
with similar for --uint, --long, --ulong, --double, --char

    virsh setdomsched --int weight=1  --int cap=24  myguest

Dan.