[Libvir] Disks and NICs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 15:39:25 UTC 2007

Katti, Vadiraj (STSD-Openview) wrote:
> Hi,
>     Libvirt provides the disk and Network interfaces statistics for each
> of the guests configured. Is there a api which tells me how many disk
> and network interface are configured per guest so that can make the
> corrosponding calls to get the statistics of each the disk/nic (like
> virDomainBlockStats and virDomainInterfaceStats).

In addition to DV's answer, this is how it's done in virt-top:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/virt/applications/virt-top--devel?f=31e1a2bb21e4;file=virt-top/virt_top_xml.ml

(It'd be a lot easier if I'd had an XML library available with XPath
support...)

If you want some C code which does this using libxml2 and XPath, then
take a look at my virtstats module in the collectd source
(http://collectd.org/).

Because trawling through the XML is rather inefficient, virt-top only
does it once for each new domain it sees, so if interfaces are added or
removed then you have to restart virt-top.  For collectd it rechecks the
XML every 60 seconds IIRC.

Rich.