[Libvir] [patch 8/9] Implement better signal handling

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Feb 16 19:08:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 02:44:46PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Handle SIGHUP by shutting down all guests and networks
> and re-loading configs

This violates the 'principle of least surprise'. I certainly do not expect
a config file reload to terminate all active guests. Since QEMU is a full
virt system, there is no graceful shutdown process, and so this is equivalent
to ripping the power cable out of all your VMs. IMHO this makes SIGHUP
essentially useless.

We already have the ability to store a secondary config against any active
guest VMs, which will be automatically activated upon next boot of the
guest - this is how we let virDefineDomain()  override the config of an
existing VM.  IMHO, sending SIGHUP to the daemon should just scan for
config files and if any VMs are active, load into the secondary config.

> Handle SIGTERM/SIGINT by cleanly shutting down

Ack, this is desirable. We should also hook in SIGQUIT

Dan.