[Libvir] __attribute__((constructor)) anyone?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 09:31:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 20:00 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 01:58:04PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> > Would anyone object to a patch using __attribute__((constructor))
> > throughout libvirt rather than all this if(!initialised) initialise() stuff?
>
> I don't think that annotation is widely supported enough by constructors
> for us to be able to use it - in particular I think it'd be a problem for
> the Solaris guys using libvirt unless they switched to GCC instead of the
> Sun compilers/linkers.

	A better reason[1], IMHO is that it just makes code more obtuse for
little gain - e.g. what order are they called in? And you'd have weird
stuff where the handler set by virSetErrorFunc() would not be called if
an error occurred in a constructor, requiring the library user to also
use a constructor in order to call virSetErrorFunc() ...

Cheers,
Mark.

[1] - Because I wouldn't be surprised if forte does actually support it