[Libvir] PATCH: Autodetect QEMU version [repost]

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 15:04:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 01:29:09PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:52:28 +0000
> From: "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com>
> To: libvir-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: [Libvir] PATCH: Autodetect QEMU version
>
> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> >	Note, this means we don't have support for networks if something's
> >wrong with qemu ... think we should just try and locate the binary when
> >starting domains and return an error if it fails.
>
> This is interesting: I've taken the opinion in the remote patch that
> locating binaries is something that is done at configure time.  The
> effect is that libvirt/libvirtd contain hard-coded paths to particular
> binaries (/usr/bin/logger in that instance).  What do we think about that?

For something like the logger I think it is reasonable to hardcode it - it
is a core system binary, so not likely to be moved around / replaced. So
detecting the path at build time is fine.  For 'qemu' the runtime detection
is nicer because it gives users more flexibility  - if they're playing
around with a development build of qemu or some such, they can just update
their $PATH & libvirt will find it correctly.

Dan.