[Libvir] Question about libvirt integration into RHEL-5

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 10:52:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 11:42:31AM +0100, Philippe Berthault wrote:
> Daniel Veillard a écrit :

> >>Hum ! :-(
> >>Currently, the version of libvirt determines its unequivocal contents.
> >>With a patched version of libvirt, it becomes impossible in an
> >>application to known the functionalities level of libvirt if the version
> >>number is identical to a non-patched libvirt.
> >>
> >>Could you explain how it's possible from an application to distinguish
> >>between a patched libvirt and a non-patched libvirt or another patched
> >>version of libvirt by using the virGetVersion() function ?
> >>

> >  Can explain your problem instead ?
> >What is the feature or behaviour you need to detect ?
> >
> We have to know if the Attach/Detach devices functions will be in the
> libvirt library of RHEL-5 RC1

  No this was done after the code freeze, and not request by a partner
as a feature for RHEL-5, so this is not present.

> and also if some enhancements of the XML
> format will be present such as currentMemory, ...

Yes currentMemory will be in. This should not be a big problem, you can generate
the XML with it, and if the library don't understand it, it should just ignore
it.
The set of patches are the following:

Patch0: create_message.patch   -> bug fix
Patch1: libvirt-0.1.8-shreable-disk.patch -> shareable disk
Patch2: localization.patch -> localization
Patch3: core_dump.patch    -> support for domain core dump
Patch4: current_memory.patch -> current memory amount support
Patch5: bootloader.patch   -> bug fix for pygrub bootloader
Patch6: python-lock.patch  -> release python lock when calling libvirt
Patch7: ostype.patch       -> os type bug fix
Patch8: vcpu_info.patch    -> bug fix
Patch9: pvfb.patch         -> Paravirt frame buffer support
Patch10: pvfb2.patch
Patch11: maxid_check.patch -> bug fix