[Libvir] Virtual networking

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 16 23:24:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 05:16:54PM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:  [Tue Jan 16 2007, 04:54:49PM EST]

> > > ...and this requires each managed host to have libvirt(d).
> > >
> > > This is considered a reasonable requirement?
> >
> > Personally it doesn't worry me too much - by all means though, I'm open to
> > arguments against it too.....
> >
> > The way I currently look at the problem, needing to deploy a small
> > C based management daemon (merely linked to an SSL library for
> > secure comms) isn't very onerous in comparison to the enourmous pile
> > of python code Xen already requires. For non-Xen backends we'll
> > definitely need a daemon of some form, since QEMU / KVM / UML / etc
> > don't have any management daemon at all. For administrators there's
> > a certain benefit to only having to worry about opening up one
> > daemon to the public network regardless of which virt system in use.
>
> What's the gap (if any) between libvirtd and xend capabilities?  i.e.
> could libvirtd eventually allow dom0 to omit the python-based xen mgmt
> stack to shrink dom0 to a significantly thinner OS instance?

By far the most significant thing XenD does for us is the initial guest
creation work. Constructing the page tables, populating xenstore, setting
up the virtual device backends, etc. There's no reason this could not
be replicated in a libvirtd - the real low level bits are isolated in
libxc - but I think it'd be really quite alot of work. Then there's bunch of
other bits like save/restore & migration to dela with. So possible, but
not anywhere on the short-medium development term radar. I agree though
in principle it would be nice to slim down the dom0 management stack,
preferably being able to eliminate the python runtime altogether.

Dan.