[Libvir] Virtual networking

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Jan 17 16:37:56 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 06:50 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>  Thibgs which were dirt cheap become way more
> expensive when they don't need to, this is a severe regression from a
> library user standpoint.

	Just a small point on this ...

	Are you sure that's optimising for the right thing? What libvirt API is
so performance sensitive that a roundtrip on a unix domain socket would
be a problem?

	For example, even iterating the list of domain names is going to have a
negligible cost compared with loading libvirt from disk :-)

	However, the number of roundtrips to a management daemon *will* be an
issue where the daemon is remote. And we're going to have that whether
we use a daemon in the local case.

	i.e. even *if* daemon roundtrips turn out to be an issue for local
apps, we're going to have to fix that for the remote case anyway.

Cheers,
Mark.