[Libvir] libvirt and accessing remote systems

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jan 25 16:01:50 UTC 2007

Some highlights from today's investigation into secure RPCs (a topic
which I want to bring to a close as soon as possible).

* TI-RPC was suggested as an alternative to SunRPC.  The available
library has licensing problems which may preclude any integration into
libvirt.

* SunRPC over IPv6: tested and working

* Either xmlrpc-c or Curl (which it uses for HTTP connections) cannot
manage to do persistent connections, which makes XML-RPC very slow.  I
haven't yet got to the bottom of why this isn't working, since Curl
certainly ought to be able to do keepalives.

* Some performance numbers which you can take with a large grain of salt
are available here:

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/secure_rpc/#performance

The other issues are written up in the above document for your browsing
pleasure.

Rich.

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421