[Libvir] Add 'console' and 'vncdisplay' commands to virsh

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Jan 26 10:34:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 02:58:27AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> The attached patch adds two new commands to virsh:
>
>  - console  - connects to the guest's serial console
>  - vncdisplay - outputs the ip address & port number of a guest vnc display
>
> The former is another stage in eliminating the need to run 'xm' - replacing
> the Xen specific 'xm console' code, with the added advantage of working
> with any libvirt backend driver.

  Very cool. I wonder if we should not move out virsh specific code to
a new separate subdir, like for the proxy to clean things up a bit in src/

> The vncdisplay is intended to make it easier for people to launch a
> VNC viewer process. It prints out a IP address & port number in a format
> suitable for passing to vncviewer on the command line, eg
>
>    vncviewer `virsh vncdisplay myguest`

  Okay, the other option would have been to fork vncviewer directly,
but that's more generic. Seems however that would be incomplete if connecting
to a remote xend, but that's something we should be able to do properly
once we have remote support integrated.