[Libvir] Virtual networking

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Jan 15 20:53:43 UTC 2007

Hi,
	One thing which is relevant to Dan's authentication stuff ...

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 20:06 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

>       * Since virConnect is supposed to be a connection to a specific
>         hypervisor, does it make sense to create networks (which should
>         be hypervisor agnostic) through virConnect?

	Personally, I think virConnect should be little more than a library
context through which you access all hypervisors at once. In practical
terms, the XML describing a domain is what chooses which hypervisor to
connect to - e.g. all apps should pass NULL to virConnectOpen() and all
drivers should handle NULL.

	The one exception to that is for remote connections. In that case apps
should pass a URI for a remote libvirt daemon which, in turn, would be
equivalent to calling virConnectOpen(NULL) on the remote host.

	So, remotely connecting directly to a hypervisor should be deprecated.

Cheers,
Mark.