[Libvir] Virtual networking

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jan 15 22:15:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 08:53:43PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi,
> 	One thing which is relevant to Dan's authentication stuff ...
>
> On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 20:06 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>
> >       * Since virConnect is supposed to be a connection to a specific
> >         hypervisor, does it make sense to create networks (which should
> >         be hypervisor agnostic) through virConnect?
>
> 	Personally, I think virConnect should be little more than a library
> context through which you access all hypervisors at once. In practical
> terms, the XML describing a domain is what chooses which hypervisor to
> connect to - e.g. all apps should pass NULL to virConnectOpen() and all
> drivers should handle NULL.

Having a single virConnectOpen which initializes all backends is not going
to fly because it'll create a huge namespace clash. eg, the names passed to
virConnectLookupByName are only unique per-hypervisor connection - its perfectly
valid to have a Xen domain called 'foo' and a QEMU domain called 'foo' on the
same machine. Similarly the integer IDs are scoped per hypervisor, and the
UUIDs are unique only per-hypervisor, etc, etc. The entire API is modelled
on the idea of one virConnectPtr object representing the context of a single
hypervisor.

Dan.