[Libvir] libvirt and accessing remote systems

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Jan 25 10:50:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 04:56 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   I'm a bit afraid of the XML-RPC overhead, parsing 10,000 small instances
> per second with libxml2 is doable with a bit of tuning but that's still more
> than an order of magnitude slower than the ad-hoc protocol and without the
> marshalling/demarshalling from the strings values. For SunRPC, well if you
> do some testing that will be fantastic.

	So, you're making a guess at 100us overhead for the XML processing?
That's an extra 30s with Dan's test. That really wouldn't concern me in
the slightest ...

	If a DomainGetInfo() call is in the sub-millisecond range then it's
never going to be a bottleneck IMHO.

	(Especially since the reason Dan is talking about XML-RPC is so that we
can have notification of state changes instead of polling for them)

Cheers,
Mark.