[Libvir] libvirt and accessing remote systems

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Jan 25 11:03:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 10:50 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> 	If a DomainGetInfo() call is in the sub-millisecond range then it's
> never going to be a bottleneck IMHO.

	Hmm, that might sound like I'm talking out my ass ...

	Consider an app that displays the UUID of all guests in a list. It
calls GetUUID() for each guest. With 100 guests you get figures like:

   + Direct HV calls - 500us
   + Proxy -  3ms
   + XML-RPC proxy - 100ms
   + Proxy over network - 10s
   + XML-RPC proxy over network - 10.1s

	So, the app seems snappy even with this number of guests until you run
it over the network. At this point we optimise by adding a
ListDomainUUIDs() call and this speeds up the local case too. At no
point should we worry about the XML-RPC.

Cheers,
Mark.