[Libvir] Updating an existing libvirt installation

Omer Khalid Omer.Khalid at cern.ch
Tue Jul 10 15:41:16 UTC 2007

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply and the explaination.

The upgrade I would like to make is from 0.1.8 to 0.1.9. Could you please
guide me to a HowTo link?

Many thanks,

Omer

On 7/10/07, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> Omer Khalid wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am wondering if its possible to upgrade an existing libvirt
> > installation to a newer version. Actually one of my clients is still
> > have libvirt-0.1.8 while my software works ver 0.1.9 upwards.
>
> As Dan said, ABI compatibility should be maintained, pretty much
> forever.  I guess if we ever did break it, there would be a major jump
> in version number (like 1.x -> 2.x or similar).
>
> Another issue is that upgrades between versions require different
> daemons running.  In < 0.2.0 there was no daemon at all.  In < 0.3.0 the
> daemon was called libvirt_qemud (unless you were also playing with the
> experimental remote patches, in which case you may have needed two
> daemons running).  In >= 0.3.0 the daemon is called libvirtd and
> combines the functions of qemu management, network management and remote
> access all in one handy package.  So when upgrading between versions,
> bear this in mind.  Restarting the libvirt service should be sufficient,
> but if that doesn't work there is a small possibility you might need to
> reboot.
>
> Also we are maintaining a list of what features work with what
> hypervisor in what version.  You can find that here:
> http://libvirt.org/hvsupport.html
>
> Rich.
>
> --
> Emerging Technologies, Red Hat - http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
> Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod
> Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom.  Registered in
> England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903

CERN – European Organization for Nuclear
Research, IT Department,  CH-1211
Geneva 23, Switzerland

Phone: +41 (0) 22 767 2224
Fax:     +41 (0) 22 766 8683