[Libvir] Next features and target for development

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 16:32:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 06:26:36PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >   - more engine support: OpenVZ is on the work, is there interest in
> >       lguest, UML or for example Solaris zones ?
>
> Hmm, well, at least some of them can be used at the same time, i.e.
> running a WinXP guest in qemu/kvm and an linux guest using lguest or uml
> at the same time works just fine.  Having only one instance of
> virt-manager running to manage this would be great.  Although that maybe
> isn't a libvirt issue, virt-manager could just support multiple
> connections, something which is useful for virt-manager anyway now we
> have remote support ;).

You can already open many connections - 'File -> Open Connection' from
the main window. The UI for this isn't great though, so we're already
planning to adapt it to give better view of multiple connections.

> A related but slightly trickier issue is that you can run the very same
> disk image using different hypervisors.  An raw disk image working fine
> in qemu should boot equally well in xen (as hvm).  qemu can handle
> vmware disk images.  paravirt_ops makes switching hypervisors easy even
> for paravirtualized guests.

Yes, that is an intesting thing to look at. The next python-virtinst
release will have support for cloning VMs - this just does a 'deep'
copy of all the disks & creates a new VM config for the copy. It
would be interesting to be able to clone to a different HV target,
as well as being able to simply 'move' a disk to a different HV target
without actually copying it.

Not sure if we'd need more libvirt stuff to be able to do this, or if
you can manage it all from apps on top.

Dan.