[Libvir] big-endian support for libvirt - introduce GUEST_HANDLE infrastructure ?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Jul 11 12:50:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 02:11:38PM +0200, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:

> >  That would be perfect ! Maybe we don't even need to hook in configure
> >I'm sure endianness info can come from standard headers, then combined
> >with a processor check that should be sufficient I guess.
> >
> Without introducing all the guest handle infrastructure and by just
> fixing the known xen_v2s3_getdomaininfolistop and xen_v2d5_cpumap the
> patch became as nice and small as a patch should be ;-)

  yup, see it suddenly becomes quite small :-) maybe a tad bit too small though

> The Libvirt padding is now handled by using gcc's __BIG_ENDIAN__, no
> configure/header/... needed that way. I think we can assume that at
> least when libvirt is compiled for ppc gcc is used right?

  yes the only potential problem would be with other architectures where
__BIG_ENDIAN__ is defined and where the relative size of pointers and long
would be different.

> I used one (1) really generic line from our ppc libxc code, this should
> be no licencing issue (LGPL vs. GPL). Tell me if someone think otherwise
> and I'll try to change it a bit.

  No I guess it's generic enough :-)

> Since it is no longer a macro we could pre-calculate the sizes anyway,
> but the way it is now says clearly "64bit size - used size" for the
> padding and I like that kind of readability.

  Yes this makes for very long line, but it's really not a concern.
I'm tempted to apply that patch after a day of grace delay to give people
a chance to voice in !

   thanks a lot ! Does this fix all the libvirt proper platform issues
(i.e. independantly of possible xen specific ones) ?