[Libvir] virDomainConfigureDevice?

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 18:25:37 UTC 2007

I'm looking at ways to replicate xm block-configure at the libvirt
level. xm block-configure is useful in that it allows you to change the
back device for an HVM guest while the guest is still running; this
permits you for example to change the CDROM without shutting down your
guest or poking around in xenstore. Thus we can have an "eject" button
on cdrom devices in virt-manager (or "eject" and "load" buttons, I
guess), which we really need.

The issue of course is that xm block-configure is specifically intended
for block devices and takes arguments for the back device and the front
device (among others). We would naturally prefer to accept a block of
XML just as virDomainAttachDevice does and then parse it, determine if
the device in question is of a type we can actually edit, determine if
the new backdev is appropriate, and so on.

None of this seems terribly hard, but before I go implement it, are
there obvious pitfalls I'm not thinking? And given that
virDomainAttachDevice is not implemented for qemud in libvirt (is it?),
how do we handle the non-xen case?

Thanks,
--Hugh

--