[Libvir] Re: Asynchronous notifications of domain start/stop

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 15:13:38 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> The daemon has a buffer of outgoing data - and it appends to this buffer
> discrete 'XDR' messages. So we should be able to simply append another
> XDR message per notification & not have to overly worry about things
> being mixed up in the stream. When the client is deserializing replies
> during normal calls it'll have to keep an eye out for messages which are
> in fact notifications, rather than its expected reply, but again that
> should not be too hard since we're dealing with discrete XDR encoded
> messages. So AFAICT we don't need any OOB or piggybacking stuff - just
> queue up the data to send as normal.

Obviously at the moment, remote calls are completely synchronous on the
client side.  remote_internal.c:call() is a function which serialises
the args, writes them to the socket, then sits there waiting for a
reply.  I guess we're not planning to make this asynchronous?  (Or are we??)

Unless we change remote_internal.c, events which happen outside of calls
won't be delivered upwards asynchronously, but only when the app happens
to make a libvirt call.

Rich.