[Libvir] Re: PATCH 1/2: Qemu feature reporting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 10:11:35 UTC 2007

Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 10:31:10AM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
>> This patch lets the qemu/kvm drivers report features for i686 and
>> x86_64. The output is table-driven, like the rest of the capability
>> generation. That should make it easy to report additional features for
>> other arches (which I know zip about)
>
>   Looks fine to me, except:
>
>> +                r = virBufferAdd(xml, "\
>> +      <pae/>\n", -1);
>
>   I really can't understand what's the point of doing the indentation by
> cutting in the string parameter, I would really fix those before applying.

It's like that in the current code.  I did it that way so that the XML
would be nicely formatted -- makes more sense on longer stretches of
XML, eg:
     r = virBufferVSprintf (xml,
                         "\
<capabilities>\n\
   <host>\n\
     <cpu>\n\
       <arch>%s</arch>\n\
     </cpu>\n\
   </host>\n",
                         utsname.machine);

For single lines of code it seems like it'd be better to indent it
normally.  IIRC Dan Berrange was in favour of using libxml calls to
build up the XML, at which point it is the job of libxml to generate
nicely formatted output, but that's a lot of work to implement for only
a tiny gain.

Rich.