[Libvir] Next features and target for development

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 22:45:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 09:06:29PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Di Juli 10 2007, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> > Now is a good time to suggest new potential directions, and I certainly
> > forgot some obvious points, so what did I missed ?
>
> What I am missing in open source virtualization solutions is the possibility
> to make snapshots in a tree structure and to freely jump from one state to
> another. VMWare workstation provides this feature. And in addition it would
> be nice to clone a virtual machine from a snapshot, i.e. select a snapshot
> and start a new instance starting from that state.

  Well the problem is snapshotting the storage devices and doing this
as efficiently as possible.
  I admit that I do the
    1/ stop the domain
    2/ rsync -vP /xen/domain.img backup: /xen/domain.img
 a bit too often to my taste and I would love something nicer, but at this
point we need better support at the hypervisor and integration with system
specific support. Not a piece of cake, and not something which can be
attacked just at the libvirt level.

  At the moment it's a bit out of reach unfortunately,