[Libvir] big-endian support for libvirt - introduce GUEST_HANDLE infrastructure ?

Christian Ehrhardt ehrhardt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jul 12 08:05:07 UTC 2007

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 15:48 +0200, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
>
>>>    thanks a lot ! Does this fix all the libvirt proper platform issues
>>> (i.e. independantly of possible xen specific ones) ?
>>>

>> Yes it fixes them as far as they are currently known to me.
>> As I wrote before I had already a temporary workaround in the kernel, so
>> the libvirt on xenppc status I posted a few mails before is valid for
>> the patched libvirt&kernel scenario.
>>

> Christian, I don't remember seeing your kernel patch; could you repost
> it?

It was here on xenppc list one minute after the patch to libvirt on this
list ;-)
http://www.mail-archive.com/xen-ppc-devel@lists.xensource.com/msg01982.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/xen-ppc-devel@lists.xensource.com/msg01983.html
> If we are munging something in the kernel because userspace calls us
> with improper parameters, I think it goes without saying that we should
> fix userspace...

The mugging was the temporary workaround I posted on xenppc last week
which allowed me to continue libvirt testing until the libvirt patch
(this thread) is finished and applied.
The last patch on xenppc (two links above) now replaces the mugging code
with sanity check to get a useful info in the case an old libvirt code
level (or something else) issues a corrupted address.

--

Grüsse / regards,
Christian Ehrhardt

IBM Linux Technology Center, Open Virtualization
+49 7031/16-3385
Ehrhardt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Ehrhardt at de.ibm.com

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Johann Weihen
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen