[Libvir] OpenVZ XML format and VPS properties get/set interface [long]

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 13:49:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 09:40:30AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 06:47:32PM +0530, Shuveb Hussain wrote:
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > >   Hum, yes that is different from all other implementations so far.
> > >
> > > But nameserver and hostname feels a bit misplaced. To me nameserver
> > > should go somewhere else, it's kind of a duplicate of the networking stuff.
> > > And what would happen if you have also IPv6, suddenly nameserver structure
> > > breaks. I don't know yet how to best fix this but those two are problematic
> > > as-is.
> >
> > OpenVZ doesn't deal with any kind of devices anyways and since it is a
> > container system, I don't think it will do in the future either. There
> > only one kernel and the host and the guests and thus no device based
> > interfaces between them. Why not do away with the "devices" tag for
> > OpenVZ and rather do something like this:
> >
> > <network>
> > <ipaddress>192.168.1.101</ipaddress>
> > <hostname>fc7-openvz</hostname>
> > <gateway>192.168.1.1</gateway>
> > </network>
> >
> > What do you feel?
>
>   Right there is no devices so forget about reusing that structure block.
> But then we should define another block similar in spirit something like
>
> <domain>
>   .... common stuff ...
>   <container>
>     <filesystem>
>     </filesystem>
>     <network>
>       <ipaddress>192.168.1.101</ipaddress>
>       <hostname>fc7-openvz</hostname>
>       <gateway>192.168.1.1</gateway>
>     </network>
>   </container>
> </domain>

The distinction of a 'container' element makes sense since container based
virtualization does have very different metadata than that used for hypervisor
based virt.

For  data with it though, can we stick to the same style & syntax used
elsewhere in the XML. eg something closer to

   <network hostname='fc7-openvz'>
     <ip address='192.168.1.101'/>
     <gateway address='192.168.1.101'/>
   </network>