[Libvir] OpenVZ XML format and VPS properties get/set interface [long]

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 14:11:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 02:49:30PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 09:40:30AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 06:47:32PM +0530, Shuveb Hussain wrote:
> > > Hi Daniel,
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > OpenVZ doesn't deal with any kind of devices anyways and since it is a
> > > container system, I don't think it will do in the future either. There
> > > only one kernel and the host and the guests and thus no device based
> > > interfaces between them. Why not do away with the "devices" tag for
> > > OpenVZ and rather do something like this:
> > >
> > > <network>
> > > <ipaddress>192.168.1.101</ipaddress>
> > > <hostname>fc7-openvz</hostname>
> > > <gateway>192.168.1.1</gateway>
> > > </network>
> > >
> > > What do you feel?
> >
> >   Right there is no devices so forget about reusing that structure block.
> > But then we should define another block similar in spirit something like
> >
> > <domain>
> >   .... common stuff ...
> >   <container>
> >     <filesystem>
> >     </filesystem>
> >     <network>
> >       <ipaddress>192.168.1.101</ipaddress>
> >       <hostname>fc7-openvz</hostname>
> >       <gateway>192.168.1.1</gateway>
> >     </network>
> >   </container>
> > </domain>
>
> The distinction of a 'container' element makes sense since container based
> virtualization does have very different metadata than that used for hypervisor
> based virt.
>
> For  data with it though, can we stick to the same style & syntax used
> elsewhere in the XML. eg something closer to
>
>    <network hostname='fc7-openvz'>
>      <ip address='192.168.1.101'/>
>      <gateway address='192.168.1.101'/>
>    </network>

  Right but for some reason I could not find the place where we discribe the
network syntax when writing my mail. This describes the domain side
  http://libvirt.org/format.html#Net1
but I can't find the network XML description ...
  there is no description of gateway in the format page, and ip is described
once but there is no example, but yes we should follow this.