[Libvir] PATCH 0/3: Refactor QEMU daemon

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jun 18 11:02:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 05:32:45AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 10:48:17PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > The 3 patches which follow are work-in-progress to re-factor the QEMU
> > daemon / driver to eventually adhere to the main libvirt internal driver
> > API. Once this work is complete, there will only need to be a single
> > daemon running which can provide both remote & QEMU capabilities at once
> > with no QEMU specific code in it.
>
>  Just to clarify, we will still need one process to be forked per QEmu
> instance which is under control, right ?

Yes to be clear. This is changing from a model where we have processes:

   libvirtd
   libvirt_qemud

      +- qemu
      +- qemu
      +- dnsmasq

To merge the two daemons so we have

   libvirtd

      +- qemu
      +- qemu
      +- dnsmasq

The single daemon serves as both the remote daemon & QEMU daemon all in
one, with no need for QEMU specific code.

> > This is following some of the ideas I set out here
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2007-May/msg00083.html
>
>   yes this is teh right time to get this fixed !

Yep, my primary motiviation is that we just broke QEMU protocol capability.
So we should merge these daemons now to avoid having to break it a second
time.

Dan.