[Libvir] Re: RFC: replace "no support for hypervisor" error

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 14:02:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 09:32:31AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 02:16:23PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > The "no support for hypervisor" error is both very common and pretty
> > annoying because it gives you nowhere to go to find out what you did wrong.
>
> > (4) Add diagnostics to higher layers such as virsh and virt-manager.
> >
> >   -- I would be less happy with this because it ends up repeating code,
> > and the diagnostics could get out of date w.r.t. what libvirt can do.

For virt-manager the user should never have to entry a URI, unless they know
what they're doing and using the command line args. We'll have a dialog which
prompts them for neccessary info to connect to a remote hypervisor. So if
we assume libvirt returns sensible error messages when a connection fails,
we should be able to deal with that nicely already.

>   (2) would be more precise, I agree, but I think (1) would already
> take care of most reports especially:
>     - if it was included in the man page
>     - if our default behaviour was a bit less pathological
>
>    virsh: error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>    paphio:~/libvirt -> virsh help
>    libvir: error : operation failed: xenProxyOpen
>    virsh: error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>    paphio:~/libvirt ->

Yes, we need to special case the 'help' command so that it doesn't open
the hypervisor connection.

Dan