[Libvir] Extending libvirt to probe NUMA topology

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 14:12:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 02:08:12PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > - Linux/Solaris Xen - hypercalls
> > - Linux non-Xen - libnuma
> > - Solaris non-Xen -  liblgrp
> >
> >The Xen & Linux modelling seems reasonably similar IIRC, but Solaris is
> >a slightly different representational approach.
>
> The Solaris approach seems to be fully hierarchical as far as I can work
> out.

  yup that's what I infer from lgrp_root, lgrp_children and lgrp_parents
well except in a tree would would only have one parent ever that I'm not
sur I really understand
   http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5172/6mbb7bu79?a=view

> That seems to argue for extending the capabilities XML to describe
> nodes, in as much as the XML can start off as a flat list of NUMA nodes
> (for IBM) but later be made hierarchical if necessary.

  Agreed, it may be a bit painful in a sense to have to parse XML provided
back from libvirt, but 1/ you should that once per Node 2/ it's not the
only place in libvirt

  Probably need a bit more thinking about this though,