[Libvir] URI documentation and xen:/// patch

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 10:06:41 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 05:15:40PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> The attached one-liner adds a xen:/// URI, intended as the normal method
>> to connect to the Xen hypervisor on the local machine.  This is just a
>> placeholder until I can get around to rewriting the Xen name parsing
>> code in xen_unified.c.  This patch makes local (xen:///) and remote
>> (xen://hostname/) Xen URI-style calls possible and hopefully doesn't
>> prevent logical extensions to the Xen URI syntax from being added in future.
>>
>> Also, I couldn't get file path URIs to work as they seem to be intended,
>> but I haven't looked very closely yet:
>>
>>   $ virsh -c ///var/lib/xend/xend-socket list
>>   libvir: error : no support for hypervisor
>>   virsh: error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>
> This is because those URIs are declined by the xen_unified.c open method
> before they get anywhere near xend_internal.c

I've verified that your patch fixes this.

> I'm attaching a patch which addresses this, making xen_unified.c convert
> any NULL, 'xen', 'Xen' uri into xen:/// before  passing it onto the other
> Xen drivers. This should make Rich's initial patch redundant. It also
> explicitly allows through any URI starting with / or http:// as back
> compat for Xen.

It turns out my patch in xend_internal.c is still needed because
otherwise it refuses the new-style xen:/// URI and the connection to
xend fails.  What's really needed is to fix this so different parts of
the Xen driver aren't all trying to make uncoordinated attempts to parse
the URI ... later.

> Finally, it moves the remote driver to be the last one registered, and
> ensures the Xen & test drivers explicitly decline any URI with a hostname
> specified, so that they get passed onwards to the remote driver.
 >
> I need this because when I move the QEMU driver across then I have an
> interesting scenario. Initially 'qemu:///session' has to be handled
> by the remote driver, but once inside the remote daemon that very same
> URI has to be handled by the QEMU driver. The QEMU driver can detect
> when its run inside the daemon, so by having the remote driver last
> I can handle this scenario quite easily.

Remember that a remote URI is characterised by one of _two_ things: (1)
there is a server in the URI or (2) the URI contains a transport.  So
for example:
   xen+ssh:///
is a remote URI.

Anyhow, your patch is still correct (I checked all the drivers and they
now will only proceed if the scheme is one of a set of fixed strings).
But by rearranging the list of drivers, we must remember in future.

What I don't really understand is why this is necessary -- it worked
fine before.  The remote driver removes the transport and server name
from the URI before passing it through to the remote end.  It looks like
you're planning to modify the remote driver to handle qemu:/// URIs ..?

I tested all the types of URIs we claim to support against your patch,
and they all work.  So the patch was committed.

Rich.