[Libvir] Error when paravirtualization domain starts with virsh.

Michel Gauthier Michel.Gauthier at bull.net
Mon Mar 5 10:19:03 UTC 2007

With the RHEL5 RC  distribution on our IA64 platform (4 CPUs), when we use
virsh to start a paravirtuailzation domain, we've got the following:

virsh # list
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
  0 Domain-0             running

virsh # create hndom2
Failed to get devices for domain hndom2
error: Failed to create domain from hndom2

virsh # list
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
  0 Domain-0             running
 24 Domain-24            paused

In spite of an error message, a domain named Domain-Id is created instead of
the hndom2 domain.

The corresponding XML configuration  file is the following:

<domain type="xen">
<name>hndom2</name>
<os>
 <type>linux</type>
 <kernel>/boot/efi/efi/redhat/vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5xen</kernel>
 <root>/dev/hda1</root>
 <initrd>/boot/efi/efi/redhat/initrd-2.6.18-8.el5xenU.img</initrd>
 <cmdline>console=tty0 nomca 3 ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe ide2=noprobe
ide3=noprobe selinux=0</cmdline>
</os>
<memory>527360</memory>
<currentMemory>393216</currentMemory>
<vcpu>3</vcpu>
<on_poweroff>restart</on_poweroff>
<on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
<on_crash>restart</on_crash>
<devices>
 <disk type="block">
  <driver name="phy"/>
  <source dev="/dev/sda5"/>
  <target dev="/dev/hda1"/>
 </disk>
 <interface type="bridge">
  <source bridge=""/>
  </interface>
 </devices>
</domain>

If the <currentMemory> tag is suppressed from the XML configuration file,
all is OK.

This behaviour appears with the libvirt version 0.1.8 released with the
RHEL5 RC, and also with the libvirt version 0.1.10.
Are you aware of this problem?
If you want some complementary infos (xend log), we can send it to you.
Regards,
Michel Gauthier.