[Libvir] Remote patch, 2007-02-28

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 09:33:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:25:32AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >I'm not sure what you mean by 'expose the remote interface directly' ?
> >Do you mean allow arbitrary non-libvirt clients to speak to the server
> >daemon directly, or something else ?
>
> I've been wondering this morning what reasons clients would have for
> wanting to reverse-engineer/reimplement the wire protocol.  If they're
> using an obscure language without libvirt support?  (Answer: write some
> libvirt bindings, stupid!)  If they're using an obscure language which
> lacks a C FFI?  If they have license problems with libvirt?

  Keeping C library based binding for a Java application is really
annoying, and JNI is like designed to make this hard. I would expect
large clusters monitoring solutions to be often Java based and we
need to have a network API for those use case. Whether the Sun-RPC
based one is the answer I don't think so, I guess they would be far
better off with XML-RPC, in term of existing libraries, tools, and
knowledge of programming the beast.