[Libvir] Inconsistent networking between Xen & QEMU

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 14:32:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 02:27:02PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 03:03 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > To improve life for the tools though I'd like to do two things as a high
> > priority
> >
> >   - Support managed networks in Xen - we can simply lookup the bridge
> >     device associated with a network and tell Xen to use vif-bridge with
> >     this device.
>
> 	We already have this in libvirt. See virDomainParseXMLIfDesc()

Ahh I missed that. I will have to write some tests for that I think,
although it'll require extending the test:///default driver to support
the networking APIs :-)

> >  For the reverse Xen will tell us what bridge device a
> >     guest is using, and we can reverse lookup the corresponding network
>
> 	I'm not sure why you want this?

Without this you be sending in

     <interface type='network'>
        <source network='foo'>
     </interface>

And be getting back

     <interface type='bridge'>
         <source bridge='virbr0'>
     </interface>

As far as is possible the XML used to create a VM should be identical
to that you get back from libvirt once it is running.

> >   - Support non-managed networks in QEMU - we can simply enslave the
> >     QEMU tap device to an arbitrary user specific bridge device.
>
> 	Yes, we should definitely have this.

Ok, I'll add that - it should be trivial since the tricky enslaving
code is already there.

Dan.