parted/LVM for ET [Re: [Libvir] Storage manager initial requirements and thoughts

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 09:17:37 UTC 2007

Jim Meyering wrote:
> How important do you guys think having LVM support will be to ET projects?
> And when will you need it?

For my point of view, as former sysadmin, virtualisation and LVM are
such a natural  fit for each other that I can hardly imagine _not_
provisioning new virtual servers from space in a VG.

I did look at the API for libparted a few months ago (actually from the
rather ancient released version on gnu.org) and it didn't look to me
like there was any way to express LVM notions through the API, so I
guess this will require a lot of new API calls and structures?

Some more open question to everyone else:
Do we need Python bindings?
Should libvirt's C API use/expose libparted structures directly?
(And how would this affect the remote case?)

Rich.

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421