parted/LVM for ET [Re: [Libvir] Storage manager initial requirements and thoughts

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 21:59:38 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 14:31 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > lvcreate -L 3G -n newroot raidvg
> > lvcreate -L 1G -n newswap raidvg
>
> I should add, in a libvirt context it's probably going to be useful to also:
>
> * list available volume groups (vgscan)
> * list space available in each VG (vgdisplay name-of-vg)
> * show how VGs relate to PGs (pvscan)

I think that lists a pretty good subset; would add one more in that:
expand the storage in an existing LV. For non-libvirt uses, what people
really want here is

        lvextend -L +20G /dev/vg00/music && ext2online /data/music/

To make that automatable, you'd also need functionality similar to
lvdisplay, i.e. a way to query how big an lv is currently.

But those things together would go a very long way towards more
manageable storage.

David