[Libvir] RPM upgrades interaction with default networking

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 12:48:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 11:58:55AM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 23:22 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > When we build an RPM we also include the default.xml file in the
> > /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks directory, as well as the autostart symlink.
> > So anyone installing the libvirt RPM gets the default network, whether
> > they're doing an upgrade or fresh install.  This is reasonable for the
> > new install, or the first time you upgrade to a new neworking-enabled
> > libvirt. If you subsequently delete the default network, or turn off
> > autostarting, then along comes the next libvirt RPM update and autostart
> > gets turned back on, and/or the default network recreated. This will be
> > considered to be rather unpleasant by many people because no matter
> > what they do, they will always be given a virbr0, a dnsmasq process
> > and a bunch of extra iptables rules whether they want them or not.
> >
> > So I think we need to figure out a way to deploy a default network out
> > of the box, but at the same time ensure that if the turn it off / delete
> > it, upgrades won't re-introduce it.  Ideally if someone upgrades from
> > FC6 -> FC7 they will also get the default network created (once only).
>
> 	TBH, it points me back to having the autostart flag in the XML. We
> could make it impossible to delete the default network, but make it
> possible to not autostart it.

Not being able to delete it also sucks & I don't think we should compromise
the impl just to workaround RPM issues.

> > One way we can address this is to put the default.xml into the docs
> > directory /usr/share/doc/libvirt-X.Y.Z (or perhaps stuff is into a dir
> > like /usr/share/libvirt instead) and then have a RPM %post script which
> > copies it into /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks. If we make the %post script
> > conditional on '$1 == 1' then it will only be run for completely new
> > libvirt installs. This doesn't address the upgrade question though -
> > so someone updating from FC6 -> FC7 won't get the default network. Perhaps
> > we shouldn't worry about them ?
>
> 	Not getting the default network on upgrade sucks, IMHO, but we've kind
> of worked ourselves into a corner on this one.

We do get the default network on upgrade the first time you upgrade from
a non network-enabled libvirt. So everyone upgrading from FC6 -> F7, for
example, will get it. We also stash a copy of the default network XML into
/usr/share/libvirt/networks. I plan to stuff a whole bunch more example
network configs in there too, illustrating how to setup various different
forwarding options, and IPv6 support, etc, because the default network XML
is very simple and not likely to be suitable for everyone, so they may
well wish to have an alternate default network - at least with different
IP address ranges.

Regards,
Dan.