[Libvir] Persistence / re-instate of iptables rules

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 03:18:11 UTC 2007

With the virtual networking capability we have to add various rules to the
iptables chains to ensure that outgoing connections are forwarded + NATed
to the physical LAN. Now if the user does 'service iptables restart' these
rules are lost until you restart the VM. This obviously sucks.

We've been exploring the possibility of adapting the Fedora / RHEL iptables
scripts to allow user-defined chains which are automatically restored from
a 'safe' config file during a restart. This is not present in FC6 / RHEL5
or even F6 yet, nor does it help non-Fedora userrs.

We already have ability to add / remove rules from iptables, so I was
wondering how hard it would be to list existing rules. From whence we can
look at existing rules to see if our virtual network forwarding/NAT rules
were missing. The idea being that a simple 'killall -SIGHUP libvirt_qemud'
could trigger libvirt to check & re-add the iptables rules if missing.

Regards,
Dan.