[Libvir] A couple of questions about the Python bindings

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 09:26:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 02:44:13PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 12:58:08PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > virDomainGetUUIDString,
> > virDomainPinVcpu,
> > virNetworkGetUUIDString:
> >
> >   These functions don't seem to check whether the parameters are
> > correct.  For example, virDomainGetUUIDString doesn't check if the
> > buffer parameter passed from Python is large enough to take the UUID string.
> >
> >   virDomainPinVcpu is just plain strange (but I guess that strangeness
> > eminates from the Xen implementation), but it seems possible for the
> > Python code to be wrong about the length of the Vcpu map (string).
> > Shouldn't the length be taken from the string itself?
>
> I'm pretty sure all 3 of those methods will need to be hand-written rather
> than letting the generator do its thing. For the GetUUIDString() functions

  Agreed with the analysis and suggested way to change this. This mean
adding the function names in the functions_skipped in generator.py,
extend libvirt-python-api.xml to add local descriptions for those
new bindings and add the bindings C implementation in libvir.c (I usually
start with the existing autogenerated bindings found in libvir-py.c
for the functions before rerunning the generator).

> the C prototype has the caller pass in a pre-allocate char * - which is
> getting translated in Python as the caller passing in a string object. This
> is dumb from the python POV where we have garbage collection. The Python
> wrapper code should allocate the correct sized char * when calling the
> GetUUIDString methods & then return a python string object. For the PingVCPU
> method things are more complicated - in C its a large bit field, although it
> is represented as a char *. In python I think we need to represent it as a
> list of VCPU numbers.
>
> > virDomainUndefine,
> > virNetworkUndefine:
> >
> >   It's unclear from the libvirt documentation, but it sounds as if
> > these functions invalidate (free) the virDomainPtr / virNetworkPtr
> > object passed to them.  (In fact, the Xen implementation of virDomainPtr
> > at least _doesn't_ free it - is that a bug?)  If this is the case, then
> > the Python bindings ought to set self._o = None.
>
> Yes, the virDomainPtr objects ought to be free'd by these two functions,
> so the python should clear the _o member after the calls complete. It

  see function_post array in generator.py

> should also clear it after virDomainDestroy if it doesn't already.

  yep, it does it's in function_post[] same for virDomainDestroy,