[Libvir] Inconsistent networking between Xen & QEMU

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 14:27:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 03:03 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> Anyway, we now have two different syntaxes in the XML for defining what
> is more or less the same thing which is a real PITA for the tools. It
> is useful to have the distinct representations - one is for 'managed'
> bridges, and the other is for 'unmanaged' bridges - we can do some much
> more interesting things with managed bridges.

	As I said in another mail, the way I'd imagined virt-install working
would be that by default it would connect guest NICs to the default
network (i.e. not the bridge associated with the default network), but
you could still use --bridge to explicitly connect the guest to a
bridge. And we'd have a --network option.

> To improve life for the tools though I'd like to do two things as a high
> priority
>
>   - Support managed networks in Xen - we can simply lookup the bridge
>     device associated with a network and tell Xen to use vif-bridge with
>     this device.

	We already have this in libvirt. See virDomainParseXMLIfDesc()

>  For the reverse Xen will tell us what bridge device a
>     guest is using, and we can reverse lookup the corresponding network

	I'm not sure why you want this?

>   - Support non-managed networks in QEMU - we can simply enslave the
>     QEMU tap device to an arbitrary user specific bridge device.

	Yes, we should definitely have this.

Cheers,
Mark.