[Libvir] [patch 2/5] iptables: use calloc() instead of malloc()/memset()

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 13:34:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 09:07 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 12:47:59PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Replace a few instances of malloc() followed by memset(0) with
> > calloc()
>
>   Humpf, that's just the opposite of the other parts of libvirt I wrote.

	It's more consistent with the rest of libvirt_qemud, though :-)

> Could you justify ?
>   It's hard to catch it's a calloc or a malloc call, and hence notice
> if it was initialized or not.

	I'm of two minds, really. Previously I would have always done
malloc()/memset() but when using glib I'd tend to use g_new0(). So, it's
handy to have a zeroing allocator.

	I guess I never previously relied on calloc() zeroing the memory since
that behaviour isn't reflected in its name.

> The extra memset line makes it clear, plus
> it will allow me more easilly to plug in libxml2 memory wrapper.

	Again, wondering why you'd want to use libxml2's wrapper.

Cheers,
Mark.