[Libvir] [patch 1/5] iptables: fix invalid free

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 12:32:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 12:03:10PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> <pedant>
>
> Note that neither calloc nor memset really work on unusual architectures
> where null pointers aren't represented by all-bits-zero.  So code like:
>
> struct { void *ptr; } *s;
> s = malloc (sizeof (*s));
> memset (s, 0, sizeof (*s));
>   /* ... */
> if (s->ptr == NULL) { do something }
>
> isn't portable.

 Understood, but I have yet to get feedback for this portability problems
from such an architecture in real life. I'm not sure our compilers would be
smart enough to remap to a single zeroing if we were to initialize each
field individually, and in that case it's a matter of penalizing all existing
architectures in the name of an unexistant one.