[Libvir] PATCH: Use --strict-order with dnsmasq

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 1 12:44:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 01:39:54PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >So by default, the algorithm dnsmasq uses for DNS lookups is
> >
> > a) Different from that use by GLibC
> > b) Wrong
> >
> >Thus I think we should always use --strict-order when running dnsmasq. The
> >attached patch adds this
>
> The patch is fine, but I don't understand why you think the dnsmasq
> algorithm is any less right than the glibc/resolver one.

The list of nameservers is a prioritized lists, so by trying a random
nameserver you may get different DNS results returned, compared to using
them in sorted orders. Nameservers may also be ordered by locality, for
example the first 2 nameservers are on my local LAN, but the 3rd nameserver
is a 'failsafe' on the WAN. The first will give much faster loookup result
that the last.

Dan.