[Libvir] The fist problem to compile libvirt in a Debian etch.

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Fri May 4 23:15:10 UTC 2007

Marco Sinhoreli wrote:

> In this step the make command retur a error:
> [...]
> gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/virsh virsh-virsh.o virsh-console.o
> ./.libs/libvirt.so -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libxml2.so -lcurses -lreadline
> -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> virsh-virsh.o: In function `cmdVcpuinfo':
> /usr/src/libvirt-0.2.2/src/virsh.c:1230: undefined reference to
> `__stack_chk_guard'

This looks like it has something to do with the gcc built-in stack
protector.  Possibly Debian doesn't have this in their gcc; I'm not
sure.  You can try to work around it by passing
CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector" to ./configure, which makes it less
secure, but might get it to compile for you.  Better would be to find
out if Debian has the stack protector, and how to enable it properly.

Chris Lalancette