[Libvir] The fist problem to compile libvirt in a Debian etch.

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat May 5 09:07:33 UTC 2007

Marco Sinhoreli wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm writing a how-to about libvirt compilation in Debian Etch. Well, I
> tried to compile version 0.1.11 in a Debian etch completly newly built
> from debootstrap. These are the steps that I took:
> ----- init commands
> apt-get install make gcc
> # cd /usr/src && wget
> http://libvirt.org/sources/libvirt-cvs-snapshot.tar.gz && tar -xzvf
> libvirt-cvs-snapshot.tar.gz
> # cd libvirt-0.1.11

It looks like CVS snapshots aren't being updated!  The one on the site
at the moment dates from 2007-02-14 and as you found out contains
libvirt-0.1.11, which is ancient history.  I'll ask Daniel Veillard
about that one next week.

I also tried building libvirt on Debian and didn't get very far either.
  But we're committed to making libvirt work on Debian (and Ubuntu, and
other free OSes for that matter).

So if you have the time can you try this to get the latest CVS version:

# apt-get install cvs gcc make gettext automake1.9

$ cvs -d ':pserver:anoncvs at libvirt.org:2401/data/cvs' co login
   # at the prompt type anoncvs

$ cvs -d ':pserver:anoncvs at libvirt.org:2401/data/cvs' co libvirt
   # the above will check out the source into a subdir called libvirt

$ cd libvirt

$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/local --enable-compile-warnings=error
--enable-debug=yes
   # you can change the --prefix to something more useful

If the above succeeds -- and it didn't for me -- then:

$ make

If any of the steps fail then post the full output.  I can look at why
libvirt on Debian is failing next week.

Thanks for helping with libvirt,

Rich.

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421

Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA) and David
Owens (Ireland)