[Libvir] [RFC] Life-cycle Management of the domain take2

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 11 18:30:25 UTC 2007

Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 10:59:37PM +0900, Saori Fukuta wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for your comment !
>>
>> On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:33:57 +0100 "Richard W.M. Jones" wrote:
>>> It sounds to me like the real solution would be to either fix
>>> virDomainGetXMLDesc to return these missing fields, or add another call
>>> to get them, or (for the password) to store it elsewhere.
>>>
>>> How about loading the original config XML and the XML from the running
>>> domain (virDomainGetXMLDesc), and then updating the config XML with only
>>> certain fields from the running domain?
>> Well, I'm not sure about the meaning of "original config XML" but I do
>> not think it is possible because the original config file might be not XML
>> like a Xen config file. Xen does not have XML file.
>> Is this right ?
>
>   Yes I'm not sure that in general you can always hope to reconstruct the
> content of the configuration file just from a pointer to a running
> instance,

OK, so the problem is two-fold then:

(1) libvirt virDomainGetXMLDesc should, if possible, return all the
fields from the original XML that was passed in virDomainDefineXML.

(2) If we just have a running instance, then perhaps not everything can
be retrieved, but virDomainGetXMLDesc ought to retrieve as much as
possible -- someone should file bugs for fields that they would like out
which could be available.

Is that right?

Rich.