[Libvir] collectd libvirtstats plugin (version 1, for discussion only)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 14:00:12 UTC 2007

Attached is a plugin allowing collectd to use libvirt to collect CPU,
disk and network statistics for domains.  There are a few problems with
it at the moment, described below.

Firstly just to say that this is a patch against the released collectd
4.2.0.  I need to pull out the GIT repository and rebase the patch
against that.  Any other comments, most welcome!

Usage
-----

With this patch you should be able to collect stats by adding the
following to your collectd.conf file:

LoadPlugin libvirtstats

<Plugin libvirtstats>
         Connection "xen:///"
</Plugin>

'collectd' only needs to be running on the host.  It uses libvirt to
collect stats for each guest, via mechanisms in the hypervisor or host
operating system.

Requirements
------------

libvirt >= 0.3.3 and libxml2.  The configure file should auto-detect the
requirements and configure libvirtstats plugin only if they are available.

Problems
--------

I can't seem to get the ignorelist to do anything at all.  It seems like
it includes all the domains and devices, no matter what I specify in the
configuration file and what the state of IgnoreSelected is set to.

In the types.db, I have set the max for virt_cpu_total to be
256,000,000,000.  The max CPU usage for a single CPU is 1 billion
nanoseconds per second, but virt_cpu_total is for all CPUs in the
system, and there could be (in theory) an unlimited number of CPUs, so
an unlimited max.  Therefore I have assumed here that max CPUs = 256.

I'm using CSV output, which works, but it seems to report the aggregate
counter values instead of the differences.  Is that to be expected?

Rich.