[Libvir] save and restore guest

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bppiac.hu
Mon Oct 8 14:27:00 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 02:29:39PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> hi,
>> if i use xen with xendomain it's possible to save and restore guest
>> state. if i use libvirt it's not working (at least by default with kvm).
>> i mean if i stop or restart libvirtd all guests a stopped and even if i
>> restart libvirtd i've to start all guests manually. imho this's a very
>> essential feature. what is the reason this not working with libvirtd?:
>> - this feature is missing from libvirtd? or
>
> You can set KVM/QEMU guests to autostart with
>
>   virsh autostart {NAME|ID|UUID}

thanks, but go back to my first question. afais /etc/init.d/libvirtd
simple kill libvirtd, but virsh has a command save/restore. wouldn't be
it's much better to save guest's state on stop, restore on start in
stead of start if there is a saved state. i can send a patch to the
/etc/init.d/libvirtd, just would like to know is there any reason it's
not that way? anyway xendomains do it in the save way.